Tuesday, February 27, 2007

STILL Deliberating (minus 1)

It is Tuesday and the "Scooter" Libby jury is still at it. Of course, as you probably know, they are down one special team member who, somehow, was exposed to media coverage over the weekend. I can't even begin to imagine how that would have happened! Was she checking the weather on CNN? Did she log on to her computer to check her e-mail? (I bet she had quite a few e-mails after 6 busy weeks on the this scandalous case.) Or did she just HAVE to know what was going to happen the Anna Nicole Smith's body once her 5 year old daughter got custody. We may never know. :(

So, now they are deliberating with 11 jurors only. Apparently Federal Law allows that, a fact I did not know until today. I wonder if the 4 alternate jurors knew that while they spent the last month of their lives listening to the same testimony as the "Chosen 12" did. But, I'll tell you what, those "Forgotten 4" cannot be happy. I can hear them in my head as clear as a bell.

Forgotten 4 Juror #1: "Are you telling me that I sat here taking 13 notebooks worth of notes, listening to a million witnesses all saying the same things, missed work, haven't seen my kids more than to kiss them good night for 6 weeks and now, yes now, after you toss someone off the jury, you are not even going to let me in on the fun?! You have GOT to be kidding me."

Forgotten 4 Jurot #2: "Hmm. I feel a little cold coming on. My throat is scratchy. Tell the judge, I am OUT of here."

Forgotten 4 Juror #3: "Damn, I can't remember my password to log onto my computer. I really want to check the news and see if anything interesting is going on, especially in Washington. I'll be real careful not to read anything about THIS case. Wink, wink."

Forgotten 4 Juror #4: "Wow, with this judge ruling like he has, there's no DOUBT I'll be deciding this case myself before close of business tonight." (Juror 4 is not too bright.)

Turns out that the prosecution really wanted alternate juror number one to empanelled. She was paying close attention (especially to the prosecutors) and her body language seemed to show she was favorable to their position. But, the defense won the motion and the judge kept the jury intact minus 1 instead of replacing the news junkie who just could not get through the weekend without peeking at CNN. (Or perhaps, my blog.)

The most interesting analysis I heard of this was that the defense did not want the jury to have to start deliberating again from scratch. That would put the final verdict further away from the time that the defense gave their VERY emotional (boo-hoo) closing argument and apparently, they think that the closer the jury's decision comes to the time they saw "Scooter's" lead defense lawyer cry, the better chance "Scooter" has of walking out of there a free man. That, right there, speaks volumes about the evidence presented in this case and the strength of each side's respective case.

My prediction: At least one conviction on the myriad of charges. The rest of the charges? Not sure yet.

And I guess, I can't really ignore this. It is true that the one jury member who refused to wear a red shirt with a white heart on it on Valentines' Day, is the very same member who was tossed from the jury. This is probably the best news of all for Libby. Does this lying, untrustworthy, snake of a man want a jilted woman deciding his fate? I doubt it.

More soon. Have a great day my friends.

No comments: