Friday, February 23, 2007

Still Deliberating

The jurors are still talking it all over at the I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby trial. From what I heard on Imus this morning they asked for a bunch of arts and crafts materials, apparently to construct a big paper timeline. I'd like to get a look at it when they're done because I, too, can't keep all that I have read about this case straight, espeically the timing of certain big events. Has anyone else noticed that each article you read about the case seems to have the last 3 or so paragraphs that explain the sequence of events and cast of characters? It is odd to see those details every time but without them, nothing much makes sense.

I wonder if the jury will really go home today without coming out with a verdict or at least trying to convince the judge that they are deadlocked. I really doubt that any of them want to come back to court tomorrow or on Monday morning. (Alternative theory: There is one juror who absolutely hates his job SO much that he is stalling in order to get a couple of more days off.)

All kidding aside, I agree with what Howard Fineman said this morning. There are probably 1 or 2 jurors who are leaning towards voting for acquittal and the others are doing everything in their power to turn them around. Hence, the sticky notes, magic markers, and the other things currently being pillaged from the local elementary school art rooms.

So, if that is what is going on we are going to get a conviction or a hung jury. I really doubt that there are one or two holdouts for conviction. The evidence seems a little too strong for an acquittal, but maybe strong enough for a hung jury which I'm sure Libby would not complain too much about. I bet that would annoy cheney, though? Another opportunity for his name and actions to be dragged through the mud in a re-trial later this year. Wouldn't that be a shame.

Speaking of cheney....Did you know that in 1991 he predicted that if bush sr. went into Baghdad it would be a mistake that would end up in a quagmire? According to him 9/11 changed everything to such an extent that it is now ok to be mired in a quagmire. Oh man, when does it stop? Here's a link to a posting in today's Washington Post where I learned all this.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/04/11/LI2005041100879.html

That's all I got for today y'all. Enjoy the weekend.

No comments: