Thursday, March 29, 2007

Creepy and Interesting...

...but in the end a tad bit disappointing.

When it became apparent last night that the episode was going to focus on Nikki (and Paulo) my expectations fell from the sky like a Oceanic flight. I could not possibly care any less about these two losers and the last thing I wanted was an episode focusing on them. Then not only do we find out that they are annoying, but they are also cold-blooded killers. Great. Next time I hit turbulence on a flight I am going to look around me and guess how many people on the plane have committed murder. I mean, look at Oceanic 815. Sawyer, Kate, Anna Lucia, and Nikki and Paulo, all could be convicted of first degree murder. And Mr. Eko wasn't afraid to spill his enemies' blood either now, was he? Anyone I am leaving out? I don't think Jin ever killed anyone, although he certainly came pretty close. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, the episode was a lot better than I though it was going to be. It had its problems though. First off, it did basically nothing to advance any of the story lines we are all following. Secondly, it was not terribly original in that everyone from Shakespeare to Edgar Allan Poe, and more have written episodes with similar themes. (I've never actually read any Bill Shakespeare, but I am guessing he wrote stuff that explored similar themes. Especially in the comedies.)

But, as an hour of television, it was good. I walked away from the TV feeling appropriately creeped out, wondering what more they might do with the characters, (hopefully nothing) and enjoying the flashback scenes that integrated Nikki and Paulo into the crash scene and seeing Ben and Juliette in the Pearl Station discussing their plan to have Jack so Ben's surgery. I thought Billy Dee Williams cameo was a little weak. Also, the way they weaved Nikki's life as an actress, being shot on the set and coming back to life served its allegorical purpose quite well.

News aside: Apparently this episode set another all-time record for Lost viewership with 11.5 million viewers tuned in. I hope that the downward trend in ratings does not cause the network to panic. I think that further netword intervention could really kill the show. Instead, I think, that for the integrity of the show, the producers should probably do just one more season. Get through this season and spend next year writing kick-ass episodes and wrapping things up. All but the shows most hardcore fans have some level of frustration with the show, and knowing that things were heading towards resolution would help everyone involved (with the exception of all the actors and crew).

That's all folks. Here's hoping next week's episode is better AND advances the plot. I want to see Jack and Locke going at each other the first time they have chance to speak about the whole "submarine episode." Will Jack be more pissed off that he can't go home or that his chances of getting it on with Juliette took a bit of a hit? Tune in to find out. Point your browser here afterwards for the my innapropriate commentary. :)

Thanks for reading everyone. Talk to you soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you see a porpoise on the subway and it asks you for change..you should give it to him or her.