Sunday, September 7, 2008

What a Day!

September 7, 2008

I went to the gym this morning and took a couple of classes. Muscle conditioning and yoga. Figured I had to get up and get that out of the way, because come 1:00 PM I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere.

Why? Well, could there be a more exciting sports day? Wow, I am firmly ensconced in my couch and not sure I'll be moving much more today. First off, in the heart of a tight pennant race, the Mets are hosting the Phillies in a day/night double header. Two games against team just 2 games behind them in the standings. And the Mets starting pitchers for today? Pedro in the day game, and Johan Santana in the nightcap. Awesome stuff.

Today is also the first full day of the NFL season. Its currently 1:34 and Brett Favre has already thrown a 54 yard TD pass for the Jets and Tom Brady is already out of the game in New England with a left knee injury? Think a changing of the guard is underway in the AFC East? Me neither, but it sure sounded good. And in other news, my beloved (but somewhat hapless) Bengals are down 7-0 to the Ravens. Mark my words, though, Bengals WILL win today. I hope.

Also, starting at around 4:00 PM today we get the continuation of the men's semi-finals at the U.S. Open, with Rafa Nadal down 2 sets already to Andy Murray. Federer got through to the finals yesterday, but the Nadal/Murray match was suspended by the rain associated with Tropical Storm Hanna. (I wonder what ESPN sportscaster Hanna Storm thought about that?) And then tonight at 9:00, in the U.S. Open's version of the day/night double-header, the women's final will kick off. Serena Williams vs. Jelena Jankovic. Sweet. (Williams in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, that's my prediction.)

So, fellow sports fans. Enjoy the day. The baseball, the full NFL slate. The men's and women's tennis. Get comfortable, stock up on the healthy snacks, and have a great day. Will post later with some more observations and post-game/post-match analysis.

No comments: