Thursday, September 11, 2008

Three in a Row for Mets



Following their much needed win against the Phillies on Sunday night, the Mets had a couple of games with the Nationals facing them this week. They won them both, albeit in a fashion that they may not have chosen as their number one option. Tuesday night, with my family and me in attendance, the Mets won 10-8 at the same time that the Phils were losing to the Marlins, giving the Mets a 2.5 game lead in the division. Wednesday played out similarly with the Mets winning another barnstormer and the Phils again doing down to the Marlins.

At the Tuesday night game, in the 8th inning, Carlos Beltran fouled a pitch off about 15 to the right of my family's location. After it bounced around for a couple of seconds, the ball made its way towards me and I stuck out my glove and snagged it. It was my second foul ball this year and it is made special by the fact that it has a stamp on it commemorating that it came from a game played in the final year of Shea Stadium. (See photo.) I'm glad I was in the right place at the right time, and that I kept the ball. Will happily buy a display stand for this one and find a good place for it at home.

Santana going to the mound against Mike Hampton tomorrow night at Shea. Mets will go into that game with either a 3 or 4 game lead over the Phils depending on the results of the Phils/Brewers game tonight in Philadelphia.

No comments: